14.11.15

Not Quite an Erasure, Not Quite a Short Story

Maybe a short, short story. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I originally wanted to write an erasure poem from Desiree's Baby by Kate Chopin, but I couldn't write it well enough to my liking; I couldn't portray the story I wanted to by only including a handful of words. So instead, this is a really long erasure? I'm sure you're not supposed to used whole fragments from the story the whole way through, but as I was taught this semester... "rules were meant to be broken" Hallelujah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had fallen in love with her 
Since
He could give her one of the oldest and proudest names in Louisiana
[Her] face became suffused with a glow that was happiness itself
It is a boy, to bear his name;
Oh, mamma, I'm so happy; it frightens me
She asked no greater blessing of God.

Conviction that there was something menacing her peace.

He absented himself from home;
Avoided her presence and that of her child, without excuse
Satan seemed suddenly to take hold of him

[She] was miserable enough to die

In a voice that must have stabbed him, if he was human 
He coldly but gently loosened her fingers from about his arm and thrust the hand away

-That child is not white; it means you are not white 

She laughed hysterically 

-Shall I go?
-Yes, go 
-Do you want me to go?
-Yes, I want you to go 

He no longer loved her, because of the 
unconscious injury she had brought upon his home and his name 

She walked across a deserted field, where the stubble bruised her 
She disappeared among the reeds and willows that grew thick 

In the centre of a smoothly swept back yard was a great bonfire 
[He] sat in the wide hallway that commanded a view of the spectacle 
The last thing to go was a tiny bundle of letters;
It was not Desiree's it was part of an old letter from his mother to his father

He read it 

-I thank the good God for having arranged our lives so that our dear [boy] will never know
that his mother, who adores him, 

belongs to the race that is cursed with the brand of slavery 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is Desiree's Baby without all of the fillers. The raw plot of the story (in my opinion). This brings me back to one of my classmates comments; she said something along the lines of it being easier for her to understand things through poetry. At the time I was like dammmn, no way, that'd be too difficult for me. But hey, if a poem were written like this ^ it would be easy, that is if you were only reading for the plot.